Johnson County Republicans held their reorganization meeting last night to elect new officers and new district delegates. This was one of many county meetings that is part of the statewide reorganization of the Kansas Republican Party.
Late on Monday the Kansas City Star reported that 17 elected precinct committee individuals would not be given the privilege of voting on Johnson County Republican leadership because of their support for Democratic Party candidates.
An unknown individual or group placed fliers (see below) on all the seats of the Blue Valley Northwest auditorium to inform the precinct committees about the 17 affected by the loyalty plank added to the Republican party constitution in 2007.
Elected Johnson County Republican Precinct committees giving to Democrats for public office included:
- Suzanne Allen, Mission Hills 3
- Christie Biggs, Olathe 2-5
- Eleanor Boley, Lenexa 4-8
- Susan Brooks, Overland Park 4-13
- Brad Brown, Aubry Township 2
- Marienne Brown, Aubry Township 2
- Steve Cook, Shawnee 1-8
- Barbara Holzmark, Leawood 1-2
- David Huff, Lenexa 4-1
- Patricia Huff, Lenexa 4-1
- Laura Johnson, Overland Park 2-18
- Asher Langworthy, Prairie Village 1-1
- Audrey Langworthy, Prairie Village 1-1
- Harry McDonald, Olathe 3-5
- Jim Neighbor, Shawnee 1-2
- James Ralstin, Shawnee 4-5
- Mary Ca Ralstin, Shawnee 4-5
An 18th name was for a contribution to a Missouri Democrat:
- Katherine Martin, Leawood 2-4
Kansas Democrats have mocked the Republican “loyalty committe.” The press lampoons Republicans for their loyalty committee but looked the other way when Gov. Kathleen Sebelius demanded loyalty among Democrats by actively taking out any incumbent Democrat that crossed her. Democrats spent a lot of money in Kansas to demand loyalty.
Outgoing JoCo Party Chair, Scott Schwab, explained the situation and that 15 of the 17 had asked to cast provisional ballots. The provisional ballots were used because the 5-day appeal period to the charges made by the loyalty committee had not lapsed.
JoCo Republican elected the following officers:
- Ronnie Metsker, Chair
- Cathy Nugent, Vice-Chair
- Marearl Denning, Secretary
- Mike Kuckelman, Treasurer
Tally Committee Counts Votes for New Chair
Ronnie Metsker elected new JoCo Republican Chair
The outcome of the election of 46 men and 46 women district delegates will not be known for a week or more.
Johnson County Democrats held their reorganization meeting on Nov 13, but have not yet published their new officers on their web site.
Flyer placed on all seats at the JoCo Republican reorganization meeting by unknown individual or group:
- JoCo GOP battle exposes party weaknesses, Kansas Liberty, Nov 18, 2008.
- GOP’s loyalty requirement insults voters, Kansas City Star‘s Midwest Voices, Nov 18, 2008.
- GOP members who gave to Democrats are excluded from county vote, Kansas City Star, Nov 18, 2008.
- JoCo Republican showdown pits liberals against conservatives, Kansas Liberty, Nov 17, 2008.
- Republicans for Moore 2008, Kansas Meadowlark, Nov 10, 2008.
- Many “Republicans for Moore” are now Democrats?, Kansas Meadowlark, Oct 8, 2008.
- Republican Precinct Committeeman has SIX signs for Democrats in yard?, Kansas Meadowlark, Oct 7, 2008.
- Kansas Democratic Party’s “Loyalty Committee,” Kansas Meadowlark, July 30, 2008.
- Kansas GOP forming ‘loyalty committee’, Topeka Capital-Journal, July 31, 2007.
- Republicans for Moore — the last five election cycles, Kansas Meadowlark, Feb 28, 2007.
- Moderates in Kansas Decide They’re Not in GOP Anymore, Washington Post, Oct 19, 2006.