Links below are to articles written from Jan. 2005 through March 2009 about how Gov. Sebelius helped her political friends, appointed her donors to state boards, judicial nominating commissions, district courts, and even the Kansas Supreme Court.
Kathleen Sebelius was elected in Nov. 2002 at a time when researching political contribution information in Kansas was not easy. A Sept 2003 Lawrence Journal-World article, Kansas gets ‘F’ in campaign finance disclosure, underscored how bad the problem was.
In 2002 when Gov. Sebelius was first elected research about political contributions in Kansas was expensive. Copies of campaign finance reports cost $0.25/page and by 2004 the Kansas Secretary of State raised the fee to $0.50/page, which inhibited research even more. With only personal funds research was prohibitively expensive and there was little transparency in campaign contributions in Kansas.
Luckily for researchers by Jan 2006 the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission started publishing campaign reports online with information for 2005. This enabled research of political contributions by many of Sebelius’ appointments, and helped find ways Gov. Sebelius had helped her political friends in their campaigns.
Many of these articles were largely ignored by the press in Kansas. With limited time and resources for this research, there are likely other connections that could be found with more resources. With one exception, the links below are all to Meadowlark articles.
This information should be considered as the U.S. Senate this week considers Gov. Sebelius to be the next Health and Human Services Secretary at her confirmation hearings.
- Happy 9th Birthday to Gov. Sebelius’ Bluestem Fund PAC. Almost $1 million raised, March 16, 2009.
- Gov. Sebelius, KDP Chair Gates in questionable Medicaid funding arrangement, March 3, 2009.
- Gov. Sebelius spends $42,809 on last-minute “non express advocacy voter contact, Jan 14, 2009.
- Gov. Sebelius’ District Judge Choices: Democrat, Democrat, Democrat, Jan 9, 2009.
- Gov. Sebelius picks Obama Donor for new Kansas Supreme Court Judge, Jan 8, 2009.
- Political Profile of Kansas Supreme Court Nominating Commission: Gov. Sebelius stacks deck, Jan 7, 2009.
- Whom will Sebelius appoint to Kansas Supreme Court? A judge or Obama/Sebelius donor?, Dec 8, 2008.
- Out-of-State Money Floods Kansas: Sebelius’ and Greater KC Chamber’s PACs to “own” Kansas, Oct 28, 2008.
- Gov. Sebelius’ Bluestem Fund PAC awash with cash for November elections, Aug 4, 2008.
- Kansas Democratic Party’s “Loyalty Committee”, July 30, 2008.
- Gov. Sebelius appoints donor to chief hearing officer for Court of Tax Appeals, July 6, 2008.
- Did $13,000 given to Gov. Sebelius play part in Supreme Court Nominating Commission appointment?, June 28, 2008.
- Gov. Sebelius appoints new District Court judge — one of her political contributors, June 5, 2008.
- Dinner for 6 or 20? Gov. Sebelius sold dinner, photos to highest bidder: Dr. George Tiller, May 28, 2008.
- Friend of Gov. Kathleen Sebelius? Did you get to fly the State of Kansas Executive Aircraft to the NCAA basketball tournament in San Antonio?, May 11, 2008.
- Gov. Kathleen Sebelius Withdraws Carmichael Appointment to Kansas Human Rights Commission, May 5, 2008.
- Members of Kansas Board of Healing Arts Gave Nearly $25,000 to Gov. Sebelius’ Campaigns, March 30, 2008.
- Gov. Kathleen Sebelius appoints HUGE Democratic Donor, John Carmichael, to Chair Kansas Human Rights Commission. Is Carmichael exempt from Kansas Ethics Laws?, Feb 29, 2008.
- Enigma: Speaker of the House’s Appointment to the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission Blocked for Years. Sebelius Checkmates Republicans, Feb 3, 2008.
- Updated Political Profile of Members of the Kansas Supreme Court Nominating Commission: Still 6 Democrats, 2 Republicans, 1 Republican for Moore, Dec 16, 2007.
- AG Morrison wants independent investigation by the Kansas Board for Discipline of Attorneys of professional misconduct allegations against him. But near majority on this Board are contributors to either Morrison or Sebelius!, Dec 11, 2007.
- “Bankrupt” KDHE Secretary Rod Bremby Still Gave $500 to Sebelius Last Year.
Why did Bremby fire Dr. Howard Rodenberg as the state’s top health official?, Nov 18, 2007.
- Governor Sebelius Rewards $13,700 Democratic Donor with Johnson County District Judgeship, Aug. 7, 2007.
- Governor Sebelius appoints one of George Tiller’s Attorneys, Dan Monnat,
to Kansas Sentencing Commission. Why?, April 7, 2007.
- Reno County Republicans miffed by Governor Sebelius’ Appointment of Magistrate Judge. Kansas Judicial Nominating Process Flawed by Huge Political Money?, April 4, 2007.
- Kansas Democrats Use Congressional District Party “Committees” as Political $uperfund
To Pump Money to Kansas Democratic Party, Sebelius, Morrison and Pollsters, Jan 23, 2007.
- $200,000 from Democratic Governors’ Association Spread Throughout Kansas in 2006 via Kathleen Sebelius’ Bluestem Fund PAC, Jan 14, 2007.
- Sebelius Wants to Replace Elected State Board of Education With Her Campaign Donors?, Oct 13, 2006.
- Sebelius Replaces Appointee to Supreme Court Nominating Commission After 42 Days, Aug 13, 2006. [Published online at Salina Journal blog, but no longer online. See backup copy from 2007.]
- Sebelius appoints former PAC Chair of “Republicans for Sebelius” to District Judge, Aug 5, 2006. [Published online at Salina Journal blog, but no longer online. See backup copy from 2007.]
- Political Profile of Members of the
Kansas Supreme Court Nominating Commission:
6 Democrats, 2 Republicans, 1 Republican for Moore, July 3, 2006.
- Sebelius appoints wife of “dean of Ellis County Democratic politics” to Supreme Court Nominating Commission. Is Sebelius Concerned about Qualified Justices on the Kansas Supreme Court?, July 3, 2006.
- Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission Favors Nominee by KS Senate President over Nominee by KS Speaker of the House? Ethics Commission Blocking Conservative from Board?, May 11, 2006.
- Embarrassing Sebelius Appointment to State Board of Healing Arts?, Aug 21, 2005. [Published online at Salina Journal blog, but no longer online. See backup copy from 2007.]
- Donor rolls often hold clues on regent picks: Board members usually have supported governor who names them, but job not considered ‘reward’, Lawrence Journal-World, July 25, 2005.
- Sebelius continues packing Kansas Supreme Court with Democrats:
5 Democrats Vs. 2 Republicans when Kansas has only 27% Democrats!, July 22, 2005.
- A new judicial activist? Did $750 to Sebelius help get Six the Seventh?, Jan 4, 2005. [Update: In 2008 Gov. Sebelius appointed Steve Six to be Attorney General of Kansas.]
- Judge rules in Sebelius’ favor but doesn’t disclose his wife’s contributions to Sebelius?, Nov 1, 2003. [Update: In April 2007, Gov. Sebelius appointed Steven Leben to the state appeals court.