See Freedom of Information (FOIA) for federal government and other state information about open records.
Kansas Open Records Act (KORA)
- KSA 45-215: Open Records Act
- KSA 75-4317: Open Meetings
- Sunshine Review Kansas Project, Kansas FOIA procedures
- WikiFOIA Kansas: Kansas Open Records
- Open Government Guide: Kansas published by The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Kansas Reporters’ Pocket Guide to Open Meetings, Open Records, Court Closings by Kansas Press Association
State Library and Archives
- Kansas Government Information (a service of State Library of Kansas)
- Kansas State Historical Society
- Government records
- State Records Management Manual
- Kansas Law: Statutes
- Info about expenditures by members of House and Senate: Legislative Administrative Services
- Kansas Legislature Senate House
- Kansas Votes, sponsored by Flint Hills Center for Public Policy, gives voters instant access to concise, plain language and objective descriptions of every single bill, amendment, and vote that takes places in the Kansas legislature.
- Kansas Taxpayers Network: Kansas Legislative Vote Ratings
- Kansas Judicial Branch
- Kansas Courts Judgepedia Portal: Judgepedia page about Kansas and its judges from the Sam Adams Alliance.
- Guide to Judicial Branch Open Records Requests
- Media Coverage of Judicial Proceedings
- Elections Statistics
- Kansas on Ballotpedia: Hub for Kansas information on Ballotpedia from the Sam Adams Alliance. The hub shows Kansas ballot laws, history, ballot propositions statewide and local, ballot access for recalls, and more.
Secretary of State
- Kansas voter registration records: $200 for statewide file.
- Kansas corporations: Business entity search Can get info about Kansas corporations (e.g., Board of Directors) on the phone. To get printed copy, must pay $15 for certificate, or $1/page for certified info.
- Kansas Register: Official publication of the State of Kansas (weekly)
- Kansas Legislative Lobbyist Directory by Lobbyist for 2007
- Kansas Charity Check: Find charitable organizations that have registered to solicit and filed with the Secretary of State.
- Statements of Substantial Interests (SSIs). Free but must register. [Also see: Center for Public Integrity: Kansas Disclosure Document Warehouse for Statements of Substantial Interests for past years.]
- “Verified Statements”of out-of-state PACs are not online and must be viewed at the Secretary of State’s Office in Topeka, or purchased for $0.50/page. The list of out-of-state PACs filing Verified Statements is not an online record at present.
- Secretary of State’s E-Campaign Finance (new July 2008). Also see Ethics Commission below.
- U.S. Census Population Estimates by Kansas County: Annual Population Change
- Kansas Division of Budget’s Certified Population Data (Updated July 1, 2009)
- Dept. of Administration’s KanView: shows expenditures by State of Kansas agencies.
- Salaries by State Agency from Lawrence Journal-World in 2005
- Salaries of Public Employees for Johnson County and State of Kansas from March 2008.
Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission: Political Money
- Campaign Finance Reports: Online PDFs of submitted forms
Also: Secretary of State’s E-Campaign Finance (new July 2008)
- Campaign Finance Data: Online searchable database of contributions to candidates (no PAC info)
- Lobbyist Employment and Expenditures Reports
- Kansas: Reports from National Institute on Money in State Politics
- “Top 20″ PACs list : 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
(based on money to candidates; ignores sometimes huge contributions between PACs)
Federal Election Commission Electronic Filing Report Retrieval
- <Why are these hard to find?>
Financial Disclosure Documents
Dept. of Adminstration
- Dept. of Administration’s KanView with Kansas government expenditures
- Workforce Reports: 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003
Other State Agencies and Boads
- Actions by Kansas State Board of Healing Arts against medical doctors
- Discipline cases by Kansas State Board of Nursing
Counties (eventually create separate county page)
Sunshine Review: Evaluation of Kansas county websites